Friday, August 31, 2012

Back to pencils, back to books . . .

Okay, I admit it.  Even in a private school, the four year kindergarten doesn't exactly use a lot of pencils and books.  And that's as it should be.  They are playing, singing, dancing, building, listening to stories, taking care of class pets, and having a wonderful time.  That's how a four-year-old learns best.

But that little song that the children sing at the end of the school year about "No more pencils, no more books . . ." comes to mind right now as I reflect on how glad I am that the school year has begun.  For the last two weeks, I have been writing and writing and writing!  While my son is at school, I am back to my sweet spot: creating things out of words.  I'm so happy.

New novel ready yet, you ask?  No, indeed.  That thing has been to threshing floor.  It is slowly, but surely, being rebuilt and restructured and . . . yes, mostly re-written.  The story itself is mostly intact.  But point of view, pace of plot, and some characters have all changed.  The book will be better for it, I believe.  So we all must wait a little longer for that.

In the meantime, I continue to write short stories.  I may post some here one day soon, if I am feeling wacky.

I also write articles in various spots online.  Here's a recent creation:  http://www.squidoo.com/have-a-successful-trunk-or-treat-event

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment