Friday, September 11, 2009

Joining this century . . .


I have always been a little slower than my friends to plug into technology and high tech stuff. Just a couple of years ago, my best friend Marian and I were laughing about the word "blog" and wondering what a "blog" was exactly. Sounds funny - BLOG. It reminds me of the onomatopoeic word "BLOP," which brings me again to Marian and a story we made up about a Strawberry Shortcake-themed wedding gone awry with fruit melee and flying meringue. The story was inspired by a nervous Miss America contestant from somewhere like Oklahoma who told judges that she and her sister used to sing the Strawberry Shortcake song . . . which she then did, on national tv, finishing with a twangy "nee nur nee nur neeeeee." The sound that followed was frantic beeping . . . Marian and I were calling each other at the same time to say, "DID YOU SEE THAT? NEE NUR NEE NUR NEEEEE!"

So it has been a while in coming, I suppose, but the natural progression of my writing career has brought me here. Those of you who do not know will ask, "You SAY you are a writer, but I know you as ___________ (fill in the blank with lawyer, stay at home mom, Chip's wife, jewelry distributor, former travel agent, former secretary at Dixie Crystals, etc) I had some of my short stories published in the Agnes Scott newspaper when I was in college there. In my mid-twenties, I was also a columnist for South Carolina Homes and Gardens. Most recently, I have published a short book called A Quiet Cup of Tea, which was illustrated by my talented mother. See http://www.mosquitocreekpress.com/ I have been working on a novel this year, and am about halfway through. It's hard to find the time to write with a toddler boy in the house, but I do manage to write at least a couple of days per week. Hopefully, blogging will keep me in the habit of composing!

1 comment: