Saturday, April 30, 2011

A Green Day, A Lasagna Garden





I spent the morning gardening, but not in my own yard. Through Junior League, I have had the pleasure of spending three Saturdays over the last eight months or so at a farm in Moncks Corner. Fields to Families is an organization that grows gardens to feed the hungry (in cooperation with Whole Foods of Mount Pleasant). It's a wonderful project, and you can find out more about it at http://www.fieldstofamilies.org/





Since the field is (like my yard) made up of red clay that will not grow jack squat (except for some stubborn weeds), a method called lasagna gardening has been utilized. Beds have been built on top of the ground like so:





-Lay newspapers flat on the ground, and wet them so they don't blow away.



-Mix up some peat moss and spread it on top of the newspaper.



-Spoiled hay or straw should be tossed on top of the peat.



-Next, grass clippings.



-Compost on top of the grass clippings.



-Vegetable and fruit scraps, coffee grounds, egg shells, etc. (These can be saved in a baggie in the freezer until you are ready to use them.)



-Chopped leaves



-Potting soil (can be the fertilized kind)





Now, you can plant your seeds or young plants and watch them grow! It is an amazing process to watch!




Not only do I have the reward of knowing I have spent these days farming food for the needy, but I have learned an extremely valuable skill. Today I was picking collard greens from one of the 46 beds at the Moncks Corner farm, and I realized something. In September, I helped build that very bed. In February, I planted those very collards in that bed. And today, I picked them. I truly got to be there at every phase for those collards. Sometime in the next few days, someone who is needy or hungry will be eating them. That gives me incredible joy. I have also pulled weeds. I have planted and/or harvested potatoes, onions, peas, cauliflower, cucumbers, rosemary, field peas, and other produce that I can't even remember right now.




If you haven't done so lately, go out and get your hands dirty. Plant something and watch it grow. It's a miracle, really.

1 comment: