Saturday, October 29, 2011

Would you like fries and friendship with that?

There's a growing trend in America.  In this downward spiral of an economy, a few companies have gotten a clue as to how to retain their customers.  There are a few banks riding this enhanced customer service wave, as are stores like Publix and Walgreen's.  Publix employees have obviously been trained to go one step beyond "service with a smile."  They always make conversation as they slice deli meat or run the cash register.  It makes it a really pleasant place to shop.  I look forward to going in there and interacting with the warm, lovely people.

And Walgreen's?  Shoot, I KNOW the ladies in Walgreen's.  I mean, we ask about each other's family members, talk about local news, talk about our hobbies and interests.  When you feel like the person who is taking money out of your hand really cares about you as a person, it makes you ten times more likely to go back and hand them more money at a later date.

This is smart business.

So when my three-year-old and I drove up to the bank window the other day, we were greeted by name by a lady we see frequently (Lisa).  Another lady (Susan) heard her greeting us and came over to say hello as well.
Lisa:  Hi, Sam!  Are you ready for Halloween?
Sam:  Yes, I am going to be Michael! (confused look on Lisa's face follows, then short explanation from me - he means Michael the Archangel)
Lisa:  Good for you!
Susan (waving enthusiastically):  Hey, Sam!
Sam:  Oh!  Hi, other lady!

Other lady?!  I said, "Sam, that's Ms. Susan!  And Ms. Lisa!"  Of course, they thought it was hilarious.  Just like it's hilarious when Sam's little friends come up to me and say, "Um, Sam's Mom, can Sam come to my house and play?"  Sam's Mom.  That's my name, don't wear it out.

But in this day and age of impersonal computer interaction and big cities getting bigger, it's wonderful to know that the people you do business with know who you are on some level.  And the small town service that used to be commonplace so many years ago is coming back.  I like it.

I remember a friend telling me about 15 years ago that she was talking to her banker on the phone one day at approximately 4:55pm.  My friend was to take something to the bank, but it would be closed by the time she got there.  "It's okay," her banker told her.  "Just knock on the back door and I'll let ya in." 

In a day and age of struggling to keep shop doors open, all businesses can take a lesson from this.  Exceptional customer service:  it's what's for dinner.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, enjoyed your blog. I was a classmate of your mom's at CHS-'63.
    -Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave, thanks for stopping by! Glad you enjoyed the post!

    ReplyDelete